Landlord Couple Prosecuted for Dangerous Gas Appliances

20 August 2012 Categories: News

Landlord Couple Prosecuted for Dangerous Gas Appliances

Husband and wife landlords, Waheed Ahmid and Farhat Basharat, were both handed a suspended jail sentence and fines last week following a prosecution bought by the Health and Safety Executive. The couple’s rental property, located in Sheffield, was visited by a council housing officer earlier in the year, and it was then that the poor state of repair of the gas appliances was first brought to light.

An investigator from the Gas Safety Register was asked to check the gas appliances within the property and immediately decommissioned the gas fires, the cooker and the boiler due to ‘imminent danger’. He also detected carbon monoxide in various locations around the property. On further investigation by the HSE it was discovered that neither the appliances nor the flus had been serviced annually as required by law, and that the tenant had never seen the gas safety record for the property.

HSE inspector, Denise Fotheringham, commented on the case saying, “It is totally unacceptable to have a property where a tenant’s life is threatened because the gas appliances haven’t been properly installed or looked after.

“Although there was no injury the appliances were in a shocking condition. Some were spilling carbon monoxide into the rooms where they were sited. It is pure luck no one was made ill or even died.”

In addition to their suspended jail sentences, Mr Ahmid received 150 hours community service and a bill for £2,500 towards prosecution costs while Mrs Basharat received 200 hours community service and a bill for £5000.