Dear Property Doctor,

I bought a three bed property that I want to rent to students in my local area (Durham). What sort of landlord insurance do I need on the property when I get tenants?

Great question – in simple terms you need two types of insurance

1. Buildings – this covers the actual cost to rebuild/repair the property if say there was a fire
2. Contents – this covers the cost of any damage to the contents ( furniture)

There are also other types of insurance to consider

Personal Liability – this is often covered in buildings cover but you need to check the policy

Rental guarantee – this is insurance that covers any potential bad debts , legal costs for evicting or dealing with bad tenants

Emergency Repairs – this covers call outs and repairs to fix things such as central heating etc